Friday, July 10, 2009

Design [of mine], you are divine.

As my first official post on design/fashion, (since I have become vaguely interested in it while reading various design blogs in Google Reader) I am going to show you two things. The first:
is an AWESOME boot I discovered through another design blog. It is called a Winklepicker and it is from an awesome British company called Underground. The shoes are rather expensive (over $100 dollars, not counting shipping from the U.K. Yikes!) but I am determined to save all my money working at my Dad's office this summer because I literally do need a pair of boots for school, and if I must wear boots, why not a wonderful pair like these?

The second design item is a bag I designed myself. Okay... I actually didn't design it, if my understanding of the word design is correct. But I designed the design on it, if that counts.

Right. Let's be straight with one another. I colored the bag. Here it is:

The text is a few paragraphs from an essay I had to write about Toni Morrison's Beloved, which I never actually read. :( As a matter of fact, the essay was sitting on my desk and I was copying "Time Does Not Bring Relief" on to one side of the bag (from memory, and poorly) and the capital "T" turned
out weird. I flipped the bag over, and I noticed my essay and read it over, and then, on a
whim, I started copying it onto the bag. Once I was done, I flipped the bag over and drew the cord of the lightbulb and decided that in order to erase the ugly "T", I would color in darkness around the bulb and cover the writing. The writing showed through more, so I wrote a bit more to make it look like it was on purpose, but I got the poem all wrong, so if I do want a bag with that poem I'll have to get a new one.

Speaking of that poem, it's one of my new favorites. It's by Edna St. Vincent- Millay, and it won't take up much of your time if you want to read it here. I am currently composing a choral arrangement using the words, but I have yet to get Sibelius (the notating program I got for my birthday when I was 14) to work, or to have time to load it onto a different computer. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment